Nine Reasons to Participate in the SETAC Europe 25th Annual Meeting in Barcelona
Carlos Barata, Programme Co-Chair
Barcelona is the site of the SETAC Europe 25th Annual Meeting, which will take place from 3–7 May 2015. Barcelona is the second largest city in Spain and located on the Mediterranean coastline. It is surrounded by the Llobregat and Besòs rivers on the west and east, the sea to the south and the Tibidabo mountain to the north. Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia, a Spanish region with its own culture and language. The city is one of the preferred destinations in Europe for congresses and tourism, thanks to its Mediterranean climate, modern art and architecture, excellent transportation, housing and food options. You can be assured of a vibrant city life and a fantastic SETAC scientific program at the Barcelona Internacional Congress Centre (CCIB), which is located right by the sea.
Here are nine reasons for you to submit an abstract and attend the Barcelona meeting:
- SETAC Barcelona is expected to be Europe’s largest meeting integrating environmental toxicology and chemistry. The meeting will bring together more than 2,500 delegates from government, business and academia from around the world to get up to date with the latest research results and scientific opinions.
- Session submission was very successful, resulting in a scientific program featuring 97 sessions in 10 main tracks. Sessions topics include aquatic and terrestrial ecotoxicology, landscape ecotoxicology and management, ecosystem services, emerging contaminants and effects, fate and effects of nanomaterials, exposure, bioavailability and bioaccumulation, predicted toxicology, life cycle analysis and sustainability, and novel subjects dealing with non-target analysis, metabolome, exposome, multi-stress effects, bioremediation strategies and the application of high throughput -omic technologies.
- Exciting keynote speakers! Peter Calow and John Colbourne are scheduled to speak.
- On Sunday evening, we will celebrate the 25th anniversary of SETAC Europe with a big party at the congress center. Don’t miss it!
- Nearly 50 companies will be exhibiting at the event, promoting their latest products and services in environmental sciences.
- Students are welcome! The organizing committee is currently looking for student volunteers. Several student activities will be organized by the SETAC Europe Student Advisory Council, including a mentor lunch, career talks, a great student party and more.
- On Sunday, 3 May 2015, a mix of half and full-day short courses are scheduled prior to the opening of the meeting. The courses will be announced in December, and registration is open to all participants of the annual meeting.
- SETAC events are an excellent place to hold business meetings or advisory group activities. SETAC will make meeting rooms available in Barcelona, but rooms are limited. So better be quick to book a room for your meeting!
- And last but definitely not least: NOW is a good time to submit an abstract. Mark the 26 November deadline!
Author's contact information: email@example.com
Return to the Globe