Ten reasons to join the SETAC Europe 24th Annual Meeting in Basel
Valerie Verstappen, SETAC Europe Staff
Basel is the site of the SETAC Europe 24th Annual Meeting from 11–15 May 2014. Basel is the third largest city and cultural heart of Switzerland. Located on both sides of the Rhine at the Three Countries Corner of Switzerland, Germany and France, diverse cultures, a multifaceted history, and modern art and architecture all converge. Close by are tourist sites in the Swiss Alps, the Black Forest in Germany and the Alsace in France for you to explore. You can be assured of a vibrant city life, great social events and a fantastic SETAC scientific programme at the Basel Congress Centre.
Here are 10 reasons for you to attend the Basel meeting:
- The SETAC Europe 24th Annual Meeting is Europe’s largest meeting integrating environmental toxicology and chemistry. The meeting brings together more than 2,000 delegates from government, business and academia from all over the world to get up to date with the latest research results and scientific opinions.
- The scientific programme consists of 65 sessions and 10 main tracks. This includes nine parallel sessions and one special session. Sessions will include subjects covering aquatic and terrestrial ecotoxicology, landscape ecotoxicology and management, ecosystem service, emerging contaminants and effects, fate and effects of nanomaterials, exposure, bioavailability and bioaccumulation, life cycle analysis and sustainability and so much more.
- Become a SETAC Science Slammer and win fantastic prizes at the first ever SETAC Science Slam! If you would enjoy the opportunity to explain your work in new or different ways, there’s still time to apply!
- Three exciting keynote speakers, Martin Scheringer, Juliette Legler and Thomas Princen, are scheduled to give talks from Sunday to Tuesday.
- Nearly 50 companies will be exhibiting at the event, promoting their latest products and services in environmental sciences.
- Students are welcome! Several student activities will be organized by the SETAC Student Advisory Council, including a mentor lunch, career talks, a great student party and more.
- On Sunday, 11 May 2014, a mix of half- and full-day short courses are scheduled prior to the opening of the meeting. There are currently 17 courses planned, and registration is open to all participants of the annual meeting.
- SETAC events are an excellent place to hold business meetings or advisory group activities. SETAC will make meeting rooms available in Basel, but rooms are limited. So better be quick to book a room for your meeting!
- In order to keep the balance between mental and physical health for all participants of the meeting, a fun run is planned. The run is scheduled for Tuesday, 13 May, during the lunch break. Register for the run and participate in the many other social events.
- Now is a good time to register, save 200€ (over 300 USD) by booking before 15 March!
Author's contact information: email@example.com
Return to the Globe